Australia’s 189 visa subclass is the most famous Australian PR visa category among immigrants worldwide. This visa is crafted for those skilled and qualified workers not sponsored by an employer, state or territory, or a family member.
Australia Permanent Residence Visa 189 is a permanent residency visa that gives you and your accompanying family members an exclusive right to live and work anywhere in Australia indefinitely.
Australia Skilled independent 189 Visa is a permanent residency visa for individuals with the required qualifications and skills to fill shortages in the Australian workforce.
However, to apply for the 189 visas, you first need to pick an occupation from the Australian skilled occupation list. If your nominated occupation is not on the said demand list, then in such a situation, you may choose a field that is nearly related to your profession.
Benefits of 189 visa Australia
- Live, work and permanently settle in Australia for an indefinite period.
- Enroll in Medicare facilities.
- After meeting the eligibility requirements, you can apply for Australian citizenship.
- Sponsor relatives for the Australian permanent residency visa.
- Enter or leave Australia within five years from the day visa is granted.
Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa.
The first and foremost thing that comes to mind while applying for a visa is whether I am eligible for visa 189’? The eligibility criteria are a stepping stone for an applicant who wants to live and work in Australia with a 189 visa. You can figure it out yourself. What requirements do you meet? The requirements for visa 189 are listed below:
- Check whether your occupation is listed in the demand list or not
This is a principal requirement to check if your occupation is listed on the Australian skilled occupation list. The list contains occupations in high demand in Australia and can be filled by skilled workers to reduce the labor gap.
Moreover, relevant proof should be kept handy to prove that you have the required skills and qualifications to work in that occupation.
- Must meet the minimum points 65/100 eligibility criteria
The second step is to check whether you can meet the minimum Australia point test score of 65 points. You have to score at least the minimum said points to proceed further in your Visa 189 process.
The points are calculated for the following:
- Educational Qualification
- Work Experience
- Language requirements
- Other factors
- Must pass a skill assessment test
Depending upon your profile, you must have a skill assessment done by the relevant skill-assessing authority for a nominated occupation listed on the Australian skilled occupation list. The result should be positive to move further.
- Must have an Invitation from the Australian Government
You must be invited to apply for this visa. The invitations are generally given to applicants with a good point score on their Australia Point test and the number of available positions in their nominated occupation.
- Other essential requirements
Apart from the criteria mentioned above, the following criteria are equally important to apply for Australia subclass 189 visas:
- Age:- At the time of visa invitation, you must be under 45.
- Language Requirement:- At the time of visa invitation, you must have competent English.
- Work Experience:- At the time of visa invitation, you must have at least three years of working experience.
- Education:- At the time of visa invitation, you must be a Graduate degree holder (or any equivalent degree holder).
- Health:- At the time of visa invitation, you must meet the minimum health requirements by undertaking the required Health Examination of his/her and of each family member, irrespective of whether they accompany you to Australia or not.
- Character:- At the time of visa invitation, you must have proof of bearing a good moral character by submitting a police certificate for each country each member of the family ever has lived in, for a cumulative period of 1 year or more, over the past ten years, ever since turning 16 years of age.
- Debts:- At the time of visa invitation, you must repay, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.
- Canceled Visas:- You might not be able to apply for this visa if you ever had a visa canceled or refused while in Australia.
Point system in Australia
Each candidate who has applied for the PR visa in Australia is evaluated based on specific criteria like age, proficiency in English, qualification, work experience, etc. You shall be allotted points on these. You need at least 65 points to qualify.
Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 Occupational List
Occupation List for Australia indicates the occupations that are highly in demand in Australia to fulfill the needs of the labor market in Australia. Before Applying for an Australia PR visa, check whether your occupation is listed in the Occupation List for Australia.
Please note that every year, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) Australia updates the skilled occupation list per the needs of the ever-changing demands of the Australian Labour Market.
To determine which occupation falls under which visa program, we recommend you check the Skilled Occupation lists Australia.
Australia has the following Occupation List for
- Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL):-
This demand list constitutes the occupations that are highly in demand in Australia.
- Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL):-
And qualified workers who are seeking short-term and long-term skilled jobs in Australia.
- Regional Occupation List (ROL) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) ROL List:–
This List mentions those occupations in high demand in their regional labor market to fill the skill shortages.
Here is the updated current eligible occupation list in Australia currently in demand.
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa cost
To apply for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa, there is a cost that you need to pay the applicant. Australian Permanent Residence visa cost may vary depending upon the number of family members accompanying you.
- Skill assessment fees between $ 500 – $ 2000, may vary from authority to authority
- Aus. PR fee Of AUD 4,045 for the Primary Applicant
- Aus. PR fee for Spouse From AUD 2025
- Aus. PR fee per child form AUD 1015
You might have to pay an additional cost for any applicant age 18 years or older, not able to score or scored less than functional English language requirements. This cost is known as the second installment.
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa processing Time
The processing time is counted from the date; they receive your Australia PR application. However, Australian Permanent Residence visa processing time varies from case to case. It also depends upon the quality of documents, the number of applications they received, the complete set of documents, the location, how easily DHA can verify your information, and how soon they receive a response to the concern raised by them.
Please find the current date for the Australia Permanent Residence processing time
- 75% of applications get completed within 13 months
- 90% of applications get completed within 15 months.
How to apply for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa.
Australia Skilled Immigration 189 Visa category is for candidates who are skilled and qualified in terms of education and experience but do not have a nomination from an Australian employer or a state/territory or are sponsored by a family member living in Australia as a resident or a citizen. This visa allows an immigrant to live and work in Australia indefinitely as a Permanent Resident of Australia.
- Step 1 Check your Eligibility:
First and foremost, the step is to check your Eligibility for an Australia PR visa in terms of the points system, demand list, ANZSCO code, state nomination, age, IELTS, visa subclass, skill assessment criteria, etc., once you are sure then you now you can submit your application for Skill assessment.
- Step 2 Documents Preparation:
Once you are sure about your Eligibility for an Australia PR visa, start procuring a range of documentation to support your application and prove your claims. Please note the documents required may vary from case to case, depending upon the visa you are applying for and the applicants’ circumstances.
We recommend you go through the Australia PR visa document checklist; it will help prepare all documentation required for your application
- Step 3 Complete Skill Assessment:
This step requires you to do a skill assessment with the relevant skill-assessing body. The concerned authority will assess your profile based on your qualifications and work experience. You must get a positive skill assessment report.
Your skill assessment enables the DHA to judge your required skill level in your chosen occupation to practice in Australia.
- Step 4 Submission of Expression Of Interest (EOI):
Australian Expression of Interest is a way or skill selection where skilled foreign workers who want to settle down in Australia show their interest by submitting an application called Expression of interest.
To complete your EOI, you require the following details:
- Personal Detail
- Visa type you want to apply
- English language test details
- Education and qualifications details
- Skills Assessment report
- Employment history
Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide correct, relevant information in the Expression of interest and keep updating the details if your circumstances change. It will be too late to update your Expression of interest if you receive an invitation to apply for your visa. That may lead to the rejection of your application.
- Step 5 Apply your visa application:
Once you receive your Invitation to Apply (ITA), now you have 60 days to submit your application with the relevant fee and documents. Please note Australian PR visa fee depends upon the number of applicants in the application, and documents requirement also vary from case to case,
It is your responsibility to pay the correct fee and submit a simple & complete set of documents per your circumstance. Failing to provide the correct fee or the documents may lead to the refusal of your application.
The Australia PR visa application fee will not be refunded if your application is refused.
Once your application is approved, you will get your Australia PR visa, and you can fly to Australia to fulfill your dreams.
Australia PR visa documents checklist
Documents play a crucial role in deciding your fate for receiving an Australia PR visa either a skilled independent visa or a state sponsor visa. DHA makes a decision using the critical information provided by you while lodging your visa application. You must provide documents supporting your application for an Australia PR visa. Thus, the ball will be in your court if you submit as much information as possible with your application.
Critical points before submitting documents:
- All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded with your application.
- All documents provided by you must be colored copies of your original documents.
- Don’t attach original documents along with the application unless asked by the immigration department to do so.
- English translations must be done and attached to the documents in another language.
The required Australia PR documents checklist is cited below to ensure your application is complete to apply for an Australia PR visa.
- Essential application form
- Identity Proof
- Skill assessment report
- A test result of either IELTS or PTE (English Language Exam)
- Skilled employment documents
- Two passport-size photographs (colored)
- Educational qualification documents (Your highest degree will be taken into consideration)
- Australian study requirement
- Proof that you studied in the regional area of Australia (if applicable)
- Partner Skill
- Relationship documents (If you are or have been married, widowed, divorced, or permanently separated, provide proof such as divorce documents, death certificate, separation documents, or statutory declarations)
- Health documents
- Character documents
- Employment reference letters
- Any other documents as and when asked by DIBP
Collect all the documents mentioned above with the utmost care. A slight mistake made from your end can hamper the Australia PR process. Therefore, you must carefully submit all the required documents as per the list to the Australian immigration officials to avoid any delay in your Australia PR processing.
Hence, consulting a trusted and reputed visa and immigration consultancy will make your work much more manageable. The experts will wholeheartedly take your documentation burden on their shoulders and process your application in the most effective way possible.