Are you planning to bring your spouse to Canada or move there with your Canadian partner? You’re in the right place. This guide will navigate you through the process of Canada Spousal Sponsorship Processing.
Understanding the Canada Spousal Sponsorship
The Canada Spousal Sponsorship program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner to immigrate to Canada. But what steps are involved in the application process? Let’s dive into the details.
Canada Spousal Sponsorship Eligibility Criteria
Before you start with the application, ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. Here are the essential requirements:
- Sponsor Eligibility: The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident aged at least 18 years.
- Valid Relationship: The applicant must be married or in a common-law relationship with their Canadian partner.
- Sponsorship Agreement: The sponsor must agree to provide financial support if necessary, and the sponsored person must commit to supporting themselves.
Preparing the Application
To secure your Canada Spousal Sponsorship, you must prepare your application thoroughly.
The first step is to compile the necessary documents. These include:
- Identity Documents: Proof of your identity, such as your passport and birth certificate.
- Marriage Certificate: If applicable, proof of your marriage to a Canadian resident.
- Proof of Sponsor’s Status: Documents proving the sponsor’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
Ensure these documents are valid and translated into English or French if necessary.
You’ll then need to fill in the appropriate application form, depending on whether the sponsored person lives inside or outside Canada.
The application fee for Canada Spousal Sponsorship is currently CAD 1,050 for spouses and partners. However, always check the official Canadian government website for current information.
The Application Process
You can submit your application once you’ve compiled your documents and filled in the application form. Processing times can vary and can take up to 12 months.
Canada Spousal Sponsorship Processing: FAQs
1. Can I work in Canada while my application is being processed?
If you are already in Canada, you can apply for a work permit while your sponsorship application is being processed.
2. How long is the sponsorship obligation period?
For spouses, common-law partners, and marital partners, the sponsorship obligation period is three years from the date the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
3. Can the sponsorship application be denied?
Yes, the sponsorship application can be denied if the eligibility criteria are not met or if the application is incomplete or inaccurate.
4. Can I sponsor my spouse if I live outside Canada?
If you are a Canadian citizen living abroad, you can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner to immigrate to Canada.
5. What is the processing time for a Canada Spousal Sponsorship?
The processing time for Canada Spousal Sponsorship applications is typically 12 months, but it can vary depending on individual circumstances.
6. Can a Spousal Sponsorship be extended?
No, a Spousal Sponsorship cannot be extended. However, if the sponsorship agreement is fulfilled, the sponsored person retains their permanent resident status.
Applying for Canada Spousal Sponsorship can be a complex process, but with the proper preparation, you can navigate it effectively. Understand the eligibility criteria, carefully prepare your application, and be patient. Soon, you’ll be ready to start your new life in Canada with your spouse.