Are you dreaming of a life filled with opportunities and prosperity in the picturesque landscape of Australia? Your dreams can become a reality with the Australia Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). Tailored for skilled professionals who wish to work, live, and settle permanently in Australia, this visa is a golden gate to your aspirations. This in-depth guide will shed light on the visa’s nitty-gritty and guide you through the application process, bringing you one step closer to actualizing your Australian dreams.
Australia Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): An Overview
Classified under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) program, the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) is a point-tested visa route specifically designed for skilled workers. Notably, it doesn’t require sponsorship from an employer, state, territory, or family member. Instead, applicants must possess sought-after skills and qualifications corresponding to an occupation listed on Australia’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
The Irresistible Perks of Subclass 189 Visa
The Subclass 189 visa extends a wide array of benefits to its holders:
- Permanent Residence: As a visa holder, you and your eligible family can live, work, and study in Australia permanently.
- Freedom to Travel: It grants you the freedom to travel in and out of Australia until it expires.
- Access to Medicare: You’ll have access to Australia’s extensive health care system, Medicare, and the pharmaceutical benefits scheme.
- Opportunity for Citizenship: You may also apply for Australian citizenship after meeting certain conditions.
Eligibility Criteria for Subclass 189 Visa
To be eligible for the Subclass 189 visa, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- You must be invited to apply for the visa.
- It would be best to be under 45 when you receive the invitation.
- You must score at least 65 points in the Points Test.
- Your nominated occupation must feature in Australia’s current SOL.
- Having a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation would be best.
- You must meet the English language, health, and character requirements.
Embarking on the Journey: Application Process for Subclass 189 Visa
Acquiring a Subclass 189 visa is a step-by-step process:
1. Skill Assessment: Your skills are assessed by a relevant assessing authority, which verifies whether your skills and qualifications match the standards of your nominated occupation.
2. Expression of Interest (EOI): Next, you must submit an EOI through SkillSelect, where you provide personal details, educational background, work experience, and English language proficiency.
3. Invitation to Apply: If you meet the points score and other eligibility criteria, you’ll receive an invitation to apply for the visa.
4. Visa Application: After receiving the invitation, you must submit your visa application online within 60 days, accompanied by all the necessary documents.
5. Wait for a Decision: After submitting your application, you wait for the Department of Home Affairs to process your application.
Addressing Your Queries: FAQs About the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
What is the points test for the subclass 189 visa?
The points test objectively measures an applicant’s potential to contribute to Australia’s economy. Points are awarded based on various factors such as age, English language proficiency, skilled employment, educational qualifications, and others.
How long does the visa processing take?
While processing times may vary, 75% of applications are typically processed within nine months, and 90% are processed within 12 months.
What is the cost of a subclass 189 visa application?
The base application charge for this visa is AUD 4,045. Additional charges apply for each family member who applies with you.
Can I include my family members in the visa application?
You can include your partner, your or your partner’s child, or step-child in your application.
How long is the visa valid?
The subclass 189 visa is a permanent visa, which allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely.
Can I apply for Australian citizenship as a subclass 189 visa holder?
Yes, you can apply for Australian citizenship after fulfilling specific residency requirements.
The Australia Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) is your stepping stone to a future brimming with possibilities in Australia. It may seem challenging initially, but with a detailed understanding of the process and a well-prepared application, you can navigate towards permanent residency in Australia. The life of prosperity and fulfillment in the land down under awaits you. Are you ready to turn the tide in your favor?